Restaurant updates and Valerie Theater schedule at end of blog…
Last Wednesday, we went to the new restaurant called the Lakeside Grill located in the former Vandervalk Restaurant in Inverness off Highway 41 at the Lakeside Golf Community. We went there with the notion that it was just going to be bar food. And indeed it was, but it was good. I enjoyed my dry rub wings and french fries and Art and LeAnna enjoyed their Monterrey chicken dinner and Jack enjoyed the hamburger which was huge and it filled the whole bun . The onion rings were good also. Nice dinner salads. Beer is $2.50 and a glass of wine is six dollars. It’s not a restaurant that you would want to drive a length of time to-to just to have the food on this menu. You can sit outside, but it was too cold the night we were there. Owner owns a Subway and is the former owner of an Ocala restaurant. Does not seem it will be having the same menu specials that they used to have : Wednesday Steak Night and Friday Seafood Special. They do plan to have live music especially on Fridays.
4543 East Windmill Dr; 352-419-4560
Six of us venture to Bluegills Bait Shop in Hernando. It was nice to sit outside with the view of Lake Hernando. Everyone enjoyed their meals that included sautéed scallops, fried shrimp, and/or fish and chips (which was haddock). The coleslaw is OK- a little too much mayo. Served with corn on the cob, you also have three potato choices : fries, tater tots or wedges. They’re all good. It’s a nice place to take people visiting and to be on the water and outside. 2727 N Carl G Rose Hwy (nr. 41-486)
After many years, we returned to Taverna Manos in Crystal River, on Highway 44. We tried some Greek fare. Mike had a Hades shrimp appetizer that he enjoys there, Karen had saganaki (flaming cheese), Tuscan (artichoke/spinach dip. Linda had a chicken pasta: Alfredo Bake which was huge and very good. Art enjoyed the Chicken Marsala-again large portion! It’s a nice cozy, quiet restaurant spot and they were not busy that night. 5705 Hwy 44, 352-564-0078
And group of 12 of us returned to Wallace’s at the Greenhouse. All but one liked their meal- felt his mahi was a little too dry. Pat and Dick enjoyed pork chops. Russ enjoyed his salmon. The fish and chips is a grilled mahi instead of the usual fried fish. Margo enjoyed duck and Vicki a shrimp pasta. It is a very good restaurant and worth a drive to Homosassa. 2420 South Suncoast Boulevard (352)-503-7276
February events and dates for the Valerie Theater-downtown Inverness, FL.
- Three On A String – Live Performances – Saturday, February 1 – 3:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Groundhog Day (PG) – Sunday, February 2 @ 3:00 p.m.
- Lizzie Robinson Jenkins– Speakers Series – “Preserving the History of Rosewood” – Wednesday, February 5 @ 7:00 p.m.
- Rosewood (R) – Friday, February 7 @ 7:30 p.m.
- An Affair to Remember (NR) – Sunday, February 9 @ 3:00 p.m.
- The Notebook (PG-13) – Friday, February 14 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Romancing the Stone (PG) – Saturday, February 15 @ 3:00 p.m.
- Lady Sings the Blues (R) – Sunday, February 16 @ 3:00 p.m.
- Life is Beautiful (PG-13) – Foreign Film with Subtitles – Thursday, February 20 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Patriot Games (R) – Sunday, February 23 @ 3:00 p.m.